Ahead of tomorrow’s match against Forest Green Rovers, we asked our members what three things they think The Imps need to do to pick up all three points.
Here’s what NottyImp said:
1. Stop making sense. No! Stop making mistakes. Cowley teams seem noted for not making hideous errors that lead to stupid goals. Arguably, we have slipped up here a bit lately and conceded a few that we shouldn’t have done. We need to tighten up and get back to being a mean defence.
2. Keep trying to improve the set-pieces. They work sometimes, but at others, not so much. We need them to be consistently dangerous as they are an important part of our goal threat.
3. FGR will undoubtedly play the ball about like Brazil, so we will have to be careful to marshall that and ensure we don’t allow them too much space in front of the back four. There are times we seem outnumbered in midfield, so for this game, I’d prioritise making sure that doesn’t happen.
And here’s what Niqlous said:
1. Bring back the high press. With FGR being a self-titled ‘footballing side’, the Imps would do well to put the pressure on and press higher into their half, give them less time on the ball and make them try to pass it around at high tempo. It could reduce the game to attrition tactics, but this is something the Imps could do well with; Pett, Green and Andrade all having the legs and the return of Freck adding yet more attacking potential.
2. Try the Akinde/Green partnership again. I know some detractors will state we’ve tried it and they kept going for the same ball – I would argue that was out of desperation on both of their parts (to “rescue” the game) and it was just a lack of communication, which is something they could have since worked on. But this partnership seems to have several advantages on paper with Green willing to do his endless running and harrying and Akinde getting in advanced positions causing havoc it could cause defences a real headache. Green being on the pitch also feeds into the pressing game of point 1.
3. Keep our cool. There is a lot of build-up to this game surrounding off the pitch talk. Management spats and the FGR press conferences over the years have been less than complimentary of Lincoln/the Cowleys. The players need to take this pressure and atmosphere and strive on it. Keep their heads in the game and play to their best abilities – let the football do the talking as it were.
— Vital Lincoln City (@VitalLincoln) November 2, 2018
Thank you to Graham Burrell and Lincoln City Football Club for the photograph!