Date: 8th October 2018 at 8:49am
Written by:

The Imps bounced back from midweek defeat at Tranmere with a 1-0 victory over the 17th placed Crewe Alexandra.

City began the game with a vengeance, carving up a half-chance for John Akinde within a minute of kick-off. Imps dominated early on but failed to create any chances of note. Crewe took a hold of the game and began knocking it around well, knocking at the Lincoln door. But the Imps depended well, and keeper Josh Vickers had very little to do.

Lee Frecklington was cautioned on 26 minutes after his poor control found him lunging for the ball. Perry NG had his name taken for his foul on McCartan on 38, and the resulting free kick lead to the chance of the half. Michael O’Connor’s wicked ball in was inadvertently headed goal bound by defender Chris Porter, with Harry Anderson sliding in. Keeper Ben Garrett got down magnificently to keep the ball out and nothing came from the resulting corner.

HT 0-0

The second half started in similar fashion, with neither team really able to keep hold of the ball. Tom Pett replaced Harry Anderson on 57 minutes and just short of 90 seconds later he broke the deadlock. Great work from John Akinde allowed McCartan to whip a dangerous ball across, and Frecklington an effort rebounded off the keeper. Akinde was first to react, heading down for Frecklington, who played it into the path of Pett, who smashed in from 5 yards, despite Garrett getting a hand to it.

Crewe applied the pressure and Vickers was called into action, saving well from Charlie Kirk. Green came on for Akinde and City looked to take control of the game, with the ever-lively Bruno Andrade stepping up. The winger played a dangerous ball across the box which Green was just inches away from, before seeing his effort from the edge of the box spectacularly saved from Garrett. Andrade gave City the chance to double their lead, getting goal side of Kevin O’Connor and drawing the foul, giving the Imps a spot kick. Captain Frecklington stepped up, but Garrett guessed the right way and saved well to his left.

City rode late Crewe pressure to ensure they earned their first home clean sheet of the season and took all 3 points. Results elsewhere meant city now move 4 points clear ahead of Exeter. The Imps travel to Scunthorpe on Tuesday for Checkatrade action, before returning to League duties away at Port Vale.

FT 1-0

Att: 8,718 (173 Crewe Alexandra Supporters)

Writer: Lewis Kelly

Thank you to Graham Burrell and Lincoln City Football Club for the photograph!

Posted by Vital Lincoln City on Monday, 8 October 2018

Click for the forum
Click for the forum

Your Comment