Date: 29th September 2013 at 11:33pm
Written by:

This weekend saw the Imps return to winning ways with a fairly comfortable 3-0 victory over rock bottom Hyde at Sincil Bank. The goals all came from corners with Tomlinson grabbing the first, substitute Bohan Dixon scored the other two in the final ten minutes of the match to ensure that the Imps picked up three more points and climbed up to 7th place in the Conference Premier table.

Imps boss Gary Simpson made just one change from the side that narrowly lost 1-0 away to Hereford in midweek with Nick Wright coming in to attack in place of Jake Sheridan who dropped to the bench. Hyde kicked the match off and the Imps were quick out of the traps closing down the Hyde players straight from the kick off.

Following the start the match then progressed in a fairly scrappy and, frankly, dull affair. Both sides struggled to keep the ball on the ground reverting to long balls up the pitch, the Imps in particular struggled to keep possession with loose passes and unforced errors littering the opening 15 minutes of the match. The Imps won the first corner of the match just before the 20th minute mark, Newton took the corner but it ended in Hyde breaking up the pitch before Farman held a weak effort that was aimed straight at him.

The Imps pressed forward and had calls for a free kick in the box turned down when a Hyde defender played the ball back to Liversedge in the visitors goal, the appeals were turned down, despite it being fairly clear to me that this was an indirect free kick. Boyce had a headed effort tipped over the bar to earn the imps another corner but again this came to nothing.

Alex Brown, Ben Tomlinson and Todd Jordan clashed heads resulting in Jordan staying down for treatment for a few minutes before he could re-enter the game looking slightly dazed, he recovered quickly though and got back into the game both in the air and on the ground. Hyde had a few weak efforts from range but the match headed towards half time with neither side playing well, the ref blew the whistle and the sides went in 0-0 with little entertainment on show for the fans.

The sides emerged from the half time break unchanged and the Imps got the second half underway attacking the empty Stacey West stand. It took only a minute before the Imps took the lead, Striker Ben Tomlinson got in front of the ‘keeper at the front post to connect with Powers corner. The header, from just a few yards out, flew into the net and form there the Imps never really looked in danger of losing this match.

Emmanuel Dieseruvwe replaced Adam Blakeman for Hyde just ten minutes into the second half as it became apparent that the visitors just weren’t looking capable of breaching the Imps back line. Jordan was replaced for the Imps with 16 minutes left on the clock, he was substituted for Bohan Dixon on the left side of midfield. Foster also entered the game replacing Fofana in the centre of midfield in front of the defence.

It took Dixon just a few minutes to make his mark on the match with the second goal of the match. Again a corner from Power, this time from the left side of the pitch, was lobbed in deep to the back of the six yard box where Dixon was waiting completely unmarked to head the ball into the back of the net. Giving the Imps a now unassailable lead over Hyde.

Jake Sheridan came into the match with less than ten minutes to play, he replaced Wright who looked like he had picked up a knock, this saw Tomlinson play upfront on his own with Sheridan moving to the right side of the pitch. It didn’t take long before another Imps corner resulted in the third and final goal of the match for the Imps. Again a deep Power delivery from the left hand side saw Dixon, unmarked again, pop up and head the ball home in front of the goalkeeper with no challenge on the winger in the six yard box. Hyde protested claiming that there had been a foul but the referee awarded the goal and the match restarted with the fourth official indicated four minutes of added time.

The match ended with the Imps scoring all of their goals directly from corners, not the greatest or most entertaining match we will see at Sincil Bank this season but it was a much needed victory for the Imps who had suffered two successive defeats on the road. This result saw the side climb up to 7th in table after the opening 12 matches of the season. An impressive start for the side and hopefully one that will continue all season and see the Imps steer well clear of the bottom half of the table.

If you enjoy talking about The Imps then please REGISTER HERE.

This site brings in extra money for our Football Club so the more you visit, click and post the more it raises!

Thanks to BBC Lincolnshire Sport for allowing us to use the squad photo.