Date: 23rd October 2012 at 10:15pm
Written by:

Lincoln City booked their place in against Walsall in the First round of the FA Cup tonight with a fairly comfortable 2-0 victory away to Halifax Town in the fourth qualifying round at the Shay. The goals came courtesy of Jake Sheridan and Jamie Taylor. This results sees the Imps remain unbeaten in four matches now in all competitions.

The Imps lined up for this match in what appeared to be a 4-4-1-1 formation, manager David Holdsworth brought back Alan Power, John Nutter, Jake Sheridan and Mamadou Fofana in place of Robinson, Gray, Nicolau and the injured Gilbert. This is hopefully with an eye to combat the lack of control the Imps displayed in midfield on Saturday. Vadaine Oliver also returned to the bench after missing the last few matches through injury.

Halifax kicked off the match and it was the Shaymen who had the first half chance of the match after five minutes when Gregory headed a cross wide of the goal. But only minutes after this Alan Power nearly opened the scoring when he shot from a tight angle but his effort was cleared away off the line from Toulson. The Imps scored straight after this chance though and it came from Jake Sheridan. A low driven cross from Adam Smith was superbly taken first time by the versatile midfielder to give the Imps the lead in this match.

Sadly Bore picked up an injury in the build up for the goal and he was replaced as the match restarted by Paul Robson at right back. The Imps carried on where they left off after the goal pressuring the Halifax defence leaving them no time. Unlike they had been afforded by the Imps on Saturday.

Seddon looked as though he was leaving the match injured after he went down injured and was helped off the pitch after appearing to twist his ankle. Somehow the experienced forward recovered and was back on the pitch shortly after. The rest of the first half passed with out too much incident and the teams went in with the Imps holding a narrow lead.

The sides came out for the second half unchanged with the Imps taking the kick off. The Imps were the firs tot attack winning a corner that was met by Boyce but sadly his header was off target. Halifax had the first effort on target of the half though when Worthington was denied by a great save by Farman in the Imps goal, the first save he had had to make in the match.

With half an hour to go the game was scrappy and Taylor picked up a booking for a late tackle on Bolland. Larkin had a good run down the left flank but his cross was cut out before he could find Taylor in the box. Power was the next imp to see a booking when he made a challenge stupidly from behind on Hogan.

The Imps sealed the win with only fifteen minutes of the match remaining, A Halifax defender slipped at a crucial moment allowing Fofana to nip the ball away before picking out Taylor unmarked. The striker had time to bring the ball under control and slot it past Glennon to give the Imps a seemingly unassailable two goal lead.

With Halifax still shocked at the second goal Larkin hit the post just minutes later, sadly no one was around to follow up and Halifax survived another Imps attack. Taylor was then brought off to a standing ovation from the travelling Imps he was replaced by Oliver.

The final ten minutes of the match passed by with the Imps effectively shutting off any chance Halifax may have felt they had of getting back into it and the referee blew the final to confirm the Imps place in the first round of the FA cup and a welcome £12.5k in prize money.

A terrific result for the Imps and one that hopefully means the team can forget about the dreadful performance in the initial tie between these sides. Lincoln don’t have long to celebrate a rare cup victory as Stockport travel to Sincil Bank on Saturday in what could prove to be a big game down the bottom end of the conference premier, after all we are only one place above the relegation zone.

Match Stats: FC Halifax Town 0-2 The Imps

If you enjoy talking about The Imps then please REGISTER HERE.

This site brings in extra money for our Football Club so the more you visit, click and post the more it raises!